Nail fungus is one of those vexing health issues that you would think modern medicine would have developed a fast and easy cure for by now. But such is not the case. Until recently, the only even somewhat effective treatments for onychomycosis were oral medications such as terbinafine and ketoconazole along with a limited number of topical creams and other medications. But creams are generally unreliable and oral medications may have unpleasant side effects and still not make a dent in the nail fungus even after months of treatment.
Fortunately, the days of only being able to offer patients largely ineffective treatments for nail fungus are drawing to a close with the advent of the Lunula nail fungus treatment machine. Before we get into the Lunula nail fungus laser machine and how it has revolutionized the treatment of onychomycosis let’s take a look at the problem in a nutshell.
Table Of Contents
- The Scourge of Sandal Weather
- Onychomycosis in a Nutshell
- Who is at Risk of getting nail fungus?
- The Hidden Dangers of the Nail Shop
- The Stigma of Onychomycosi
- A More Effective Nail Fungus Treatment
- Keeping Onychomycosis at Bay
- The Revolutionary Lunula Nail Fungus Laser Machine
- Should patients with nail fungus have one or all their toes treated?
- Can patients receive nail fungus laser machine treatment the same day they’re evaluated?
- What Can Patients with Nail Fungus do to Prevent a Recurrence of Onychomycosis?
The Scourge of Sandal Weather
These days most people with nail fungus suffer in silence. They secretly dread the arrival of “sandal weather” when they want to walk around in bare feet on the beach but don’t want others to make snide comments about their thick yellowish toenails. As such it’s in the spring that most clinics and spas see an uptick in nail fungus patients, all eager for a cure before the sandal weather hits. But where did nail fungus come from in the first place and why is it so devilishly difficult to treat?
Onychomycosis in a Nutshell
Nail fungus is not a new phenomenon. It’s as old as the human species. For those clinicians unfamiliar with the pathology of onychomycosis the fungus that causes it is part of an aggressive family of microbes called dermatophytes. These organisms have a thing for hair, skin and nails and are the source of not only onychomycosis but also athlete’s foot, jock itch and ringworm. Once dermatophytes get into the nail bed they become dreadfully difficult to extract.
Dermatophytes feast on keratin, which is a type of structural protein that is one of the building blocks of skin, hair and fingernails. Keratin is virtually impervious to water and other organic solvents but to dermatophytes, the keratin in the toe and fingernails is like an all you can eat buffet.
These opportunistic fungi devour the keratin in the nail and the byproducts of their digestion cause the nail to turn yellowish, thicken and separate from the nail bed. The nail also becomes brittle with pieces chipping off randomly. Onychomycosis is not usually painful but in some cases it can be. But even if it doesn’t hurt the infection should be treated as soon as possible to prevent it from spreading from nail to nail.
Who is at Risk of getting nail fungus?
Patients with a history of athlete’s foot seem to have a predisposition to nail fungus. With other people the fungus can find its way into the nail bed if the nail is cut too short or it gets cracked as the result of an accident. The fungus can often be found lurking in public showers, public pools and gym locker rooms. And in a disturbing number of cases people develop onychomycosis after having a pedicure.
The Hidden Dangers of the Nail Shop
It’s one of life’s unfortunate ironies that the very place some people go to beautify themselves is the place where they wind up picking up this stubborn, troublesome condition. But dermatologists and clinicians know only too well that it happens with alarming regularity. There’s a good chance that as many as ⅓ to ½ of the ladies that enter your clinic seeking treatment for onychomycosis contracted it in a nail salon.
The problem with many nail salons is that they are desperate to keep costs down and process as many clients as possible. This assembly line approach ultimately means something has to give. And what gives in most instances is hygiene. It’s estimated that up to 75% of nail salons don’t disinfect their equipment properly and you, as a dermatologist or spa owner, often find yourself face to face with the results of these poor hygienic habits.
Until recently the unfortunate victims of poor nail salon hygiene have had little hope of actually ridding themselves of the fungi so thoughtlessly gifted them by the salon owners. But now, because of the Lunula nail fungus treatment machine hope is renewed.
The Stigma of Onychomycosis
Toenail fungus is all too easy to contract but until now, has been all too difficult to treat effectively. The result is that there are literally millions of Americans who have never bothered to seek treatment, thinking their time and money would simply be wasted.
At the same time most of these folks spend their lives covering up for their condition. They never wear sandals in the summer, keep a distance between themselves and others at the beach and make excuses for not joining their friends in the pool.
Most dermatologists and clinicians would love to be able to offer their patients and customers an effective, affordable treatment for this nasty affliction. And now, because of the Lunula nail fungus laser machine they can.
A More Effective Nail Fungus Treatment
Until now there have been precious few effective treatments for toenail fungus. Dermatologists and clinicians are familiar with the aforementioned oral and topical medications and also familiar with the disappointing track record of those treatment options. Even well-known treatments like Lamisil, which historically have a decent track record, are avoided by many because of the potential side effects including possible liver and kidney damage.
With the Lunula nail fungus laser machine however the days of expensive, ineffective and potentially dangerous treatments are over. Most patients who see the laser treatment regime through will have a completely clear nail at the end of therapy. That’s in contrast to the best oral medications that produce a successful result in about ⅓ of patients.
You’ll find comments and “testimonials” online stating that this medication or that is actually more effective than laser nail fungus therapy, but don’t buy it. Some companies have people on the payroll whose only job is to leave comments around the internet knocking the competition and trying to build up their own product.
Keeping Onychomycosis at Bay
Of course the best way to avoid having to deal with nail fungus is not to contract it in the first place. Here are some common sense tips you can provide customers at your spa to avoid contracting onychomycosis:
- Treat all outbreaks of athlete’s foot promptly.
- Always wear socks when you rent shoes at the bowling alley.
- Don’t use someone else’s sandals during the summer.
- Wear shower shoes at the gym or the public pool.
- Ask the nail salon if they have an autoclave and ask to see it.
- Make sure nail techs are wearing gloves.
- Seek treatment the minute you first suspect a problem.
- Now let’s take a look at the Lunula nail fungus laser machine.
The Revolutionary Lunula Nail Fungus Laser Machine
Finally, there’s an effective, affordable treatment for nail fungus that’s FDA approved and doesn’t require your patients to take oral medications or smear their toenails with topical ointments that don’t work. From now on you’ll be able to offer your patients or clients true relief from the scourge of onychomycosis. The Lunula nail fungus machine is:
- Painless – Because the Lunula nail fungus laser machine employs cold laser technology there is no pain for your customers. As such no anesthesia is ever needed and no painkillers need to be prescribed in the aftermath of a treatment session.
- Comprehensive – The Lunula laser machine gets to the heart of the infection attacking the fungi where they hide deep inside the nail bed. Whereas some topical medications will only clear the surface, leaving remnants of the fungi alive to strike back at a later date.
- Low impact – One of the many great things about the Lunula nail fungus treatment machine is that’s is not just low-impact, it’s no-impact. There is no downtime and no side effects for your patients to deal with in the aftermath of treatment. All they do is slip back into their shoes and resume their normal life.
- Fast – While “Fast” is a relative term when it comes to nails, the fact is that the Lunula nail fungus laser machine will kill off most of the deep-seeded fungi after just a few short treatments. After that the new, healthy toenail is going to take some time to grow out. Within just a matter of weeks, however, patients should begin to see healthy new nail growth pushing up from the root.
- Affordable – While what you charge your patients or clients is your business the Lunula laser fungus machine is not going to cost your practice or business an arm and a leg to acquire. Because of the very reasonable acquisition cost and the highly energy efficient nature of the device you can make the service available to your clients at a very affordable price.
- Effective – As we mentioned the majority of patients who undergo the Lunula nail fungus treatment machine therapy wind up fungus free for the long term. That is compared to other treatment options where only around ⅓ of the afflicted wind up clear for the long haul.
- Lunula Nail Fungus Treatment Machine FAQs
Should patients with nail fungus have one or all their toes treated?
Patients who only notice symptoms of onychomycosis on a single nail often don’t see the point of subjecting their other nails to treatment. But they should. That’s because the fungi is highly mobile and can easily move from toenail to toenail. In addition, it may lay unrecognized in the nail for some time, undermining the integrity of the nail base while not revealing itself publicly. As such patients should opt to have all their nails treated, just to ensure the infection is completely gone.
Can patients receive nail fungus laser machine treatment the same day they’re evaluated?
Yes. There is nothing that prevents a person from receiving their first treatment the same day the onychomycosis diagnosis is made. This is especially handy for patients or clients that have traveled a long way to your office or spa. Of course whether or not same day diagnosis and treatment is possible depends just as much on your availability as it does on the wishes of the patient. But there is nothing prohibiting diagnosis and treatment on the same day.
What Can Patients with Nail Fungus do to Prevent a Recurrence of Onychomycosis?
Data from long term studies suggests that recurrences of onychomycosis are disturbingly common. This is particularly true of patients who took no pro-active steps to mitigate the chances of the fungi regaining a foothold. The bottom line is that relapse prevention requires:
- Educating patients to improve early diagnosis of potential recurrence.
- Discarding old socks and footwear before they become microbe hangouts.
- Not going barefoot in public places.
- Always washing socks in hot water.
- Always keeping their feet dry and cool.
- Spraying shoes with disinfectant.
- Promptly treating outbreaks in other family members.
Remember, if you’ve had toenail fungus once you will be vulnerable to experiencing a relapse. Therefore it’s crucial that you follow the above steps and that you keep your feet and anything that comes into contact with them clean. If discarding old, potentially infected footwear is simply impractical, patients can try replacing the insoles and spraying their footwear with disinfectants before every use.
The Bottom Line
Gone are the days when patients would have to just accept that a nasty fungus had gained control of their nails. Today, the Lunula nail fungus treatment machine is revolutionizing the treatment of this once vexing condition. If you have a dermatological practice or a health spa that performs simple health related procedures you should consider offering the cold laser nail fungus laser machine to your clients. It’s affordable, simple to use, effective, dependable and best of all it produces tangible results that can be locked in by following the short list of post-procedure guidelines laid out above.